Inside the Perry Center miracles happen, friendships develop, self-respect increases, and trust is established. God’s love is displayed. Pregnancy, adoption and parenting issues are discussed.
The residents develop life skills, further their education, learn parenting skills, and study God’s word.
The program that each young woman goes through during her stay at the Perry Center consists of many parts. Here are a few examples:
- 1. Counseling and Listening – Our professional trained staff listens to each woman and gives her honest praise, guidance, and support.
- 2. Building Self-Respect and Confidence – We want each young woman to know she is loved, valued, and appreciated.
- 3. Encouraging Education – Each woman is encouraged to further her education, no matter what stage of education she is in. The staff assists her with an education plan, whether in a public school, alternative school, homebound tutoring, or independent studies.
- 4. Introducing God’s Word – We talk to the women about the basics of how to pray, who Jesus is, and about church attendance.
- 5. Teaching Trust – Trust grows out of love. We teach trust through Conflict Resolution, Anger Management, and Teen-Parent Communication classes.
- 6. Providing Classes – Parenting and Pregnancy classes are taught by staff and other professionals. Other classes include Labor & Delivery, Caring for Your Newborn, Nutrition, Decision-Making, and Adoption vs. Keeping.
- 7. Responsibility and Accountability – In preparation for independent living, as well as for parenting or placing for adoption, staff fully explains responsibilities of parenthood.
- 8. Building Values – Each woman is taught honesty, dependability, cooperation, and basic Biblical principles about sexual morality and living a responsible moral life.
- 9. Making Decisions – One of the most difficult decisions a mother can make is whether to parent or release a baby for adoption. We encourage each woman to look at the pros and cons, and to make a decision that will lead to a full, productive, and loving life for both mother and baby.
- 10. Mentor Program – Our “Mentor Program” matches each woman with a woman who shares similar interests and can be a support and a friend. Many women and their “Mentors” keep in touch and continue the relationships years after.